Monday, November 28, 2016

How to incorporate Facial Expressions in Your Manuscript





















I won't lie, this can be a struggle sometimes. Editors and Literary agents belabour the point of "showing not telling," and I think a big part of that involves being able to describe the character's emotion in the moment. The first time I heard this, I was like ... huh? Not only do I have to write a story, now I have to worry about facial expressions too?

However, if you really think about it, when we speak in real life, we hardly ever keep a straight face. In fact, our facial expressions often depict our mood or whatever sentiment we are trying to convey. As such our characters should do the same. I mean aside from the obvious I think this really helps to bring them alive.


Common Facial Expressions in Writing:

- He smiled
- She frowned
- He scowled
- She grinned
- He smirked
- She beamed

These are all commonplace descriptions that can be found in most books. After a few pages, they can get pretty predictable. How many times can you say "She smiled." To keep things interesting and bring further life to the characters, it's recommended you add in some body language - this is where the showing really comes into play.

Body Language:   


Photo credit: Nick Kendrick 
Some writers start with the stance, posture and more description of facial features; for instance eyebrows, lip composure and the angle of the jaw.

Consider the following:
-The edges of her lips curled upwards
-Her eyelids drooped
-His forehead furrowed
-She gnashed her teeth
-His nostrils flared


-Her lower lips quivered
-His eyebrows drew together
 -He scratched his head

These are all things we do in real life. There is a wealth of lists on facial expressions and body languages for newbies, I implore you to make use of them. At times I feel like they're my life savers, I literally can't do without that list.

Another trick is to writing better facial expressions is to get up in front of a mirror and perform it several times, from different angles. Then try and describe it several times out loud. If it doesn't sound right and fails to flow, keep doing it until you get it right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ads Inside Post

Contact Tamika

Name

Email *

Message *

Recent

Comment

Subscribe

statistics