Monday, September 26, 2016

New at Writing? Consider Pre-writing

Placeholder Image

An idea is Born

I’ve always flirted with the idea of writing a novel but didn’t get the actual push to start writing until after watching the movie Jurassic World. Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but the first scenes of the theme park were so visually inviting, it got me into imagining what my own world would look like.

Story outline 
So after the idea then what? Depending on who you ask, it’s generally a good idea to have some form of story outline. It could be something as basic as a rough draft to plot out the 3 essentials:
-The Beginning
-The Middle
-The End


Everything else you can fill in after or as you go along. For me, though, I’m very fearful of writer’s block and try to avoid it at all cost  (***whispering*** I don’t think any writer can really escape it) – but, I followed the J.K. Rowling plan. I would post a picture but due to copyright issues, I’d rather not. In simple terms, the outline follows a spreadsheet format depicting a timeline. So each month was paired with different themes/stories she wanted to explore… for example in October she wanted to touch on recruitment for Dumbledore’s army, Cho/Ginny, Lupin and Tonks from the Order of the phoenix and so on. I followed the exact thing laying out my chapters with  each theme I wanted to highlight.

However, If you’re fearful of that dreaded ‘writer’s block’ (***whispering*** I don’t think any writer can really escape it) – Then you might want to consider something a little more in-depth…like a spreadsheet of the plot. I found the J.K. Rowling plan very useful. In simple terms, the outline follows a spreadsheet format depicting a timeline. So each month was paired with different themes/stories she wanted to explore… for example in October Ms. Rowling wanted to touch on recruitment for Dumbledore’s army, Cho/Ginny, Lupin and Tonks from the Order of the phoenix and so on, so she plotted out the book using months and themes. I followed the exact layout using chapters instead of months.
Others try story mapping:
story-map
Note there are dozens of apps and tools out there to help writers map out their stories. However, there are some writers who are gifted with just having an idea in their head and just running with it.. like write freely from beginning to end. How they do this is mind-boggling to me, I would literally freak out but these freeform writers prefer to let the story take its own journey.
Also I found this plot method by Lara Willard to be really neat. Check it out: Blog
At end of the day, it’s to each his/her own. It’s whatever feels right and comfortable for you.

Research is Essential
The past year of my life has been overflowing with research, no seriously! Imagine writing a fantasy about castles and so on…when I don’t even have a basic description of the type of castles built in those days? Or trying to write an intense sword fight, when I have no idea about the art of sword fighting. Or trying to describe a geographic region or culture without the adequate information to give the reader a visual image. Yeah, it’s no fun and readers will know when they are cheated, plus we do the writing a disservice.

Write about what you Love
I know this has been said tons of times,but it’s really true. I mean, you’ve probably figured out by now that I love fantasy: princesses, far away lands, dragons, magic, witches, spells, you name it … but I can’t ever picture myself attempting to write sci-fi, that would be painful. Start with the genre you love, until you feel like exploring. Who knows maybe I’ll even write a sci-fi thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ads Inside Post

Contact Tamika

Name

Email *

Message *

Recent

Comment

Subscribe

statistics