Monday, October 9, 2017

Beta Readers And Where To Find Them




Hello! I'm back from an almost 10-month hiatus where I took some time to focus on my W-I-P, but I'm super excited to get to blogging again.While away I got acquainted with some hard to find but well-needed beta readers. 

What's a Beta reader? Here's a handy definition for new and aspiring authors like myself. A critiquer or reader who evaluates written work with the intention of providing feedback on spelling, grammar, plot, and characters.

Do You Need Them? Oooh yes, you do! No matter how perfect you think your work is, it needs unbiased feedback from people who love to read - preferably not your mom or siblings, friends or anyone who owes you a favor. A good beta reader will honestly tell you if they're feeling the story, if your plot makes sense, if your characters are relatable, if the story drags...etc - all of which you need to know BEFORE you even think of approaching an agent.

Beta readers honestly do not get enough credit for the amount of help they provide. I believe one writer referred to them as 'unsung heroes' and I couldn't agree more.

Where To Find Them? Now to the hard part. I remember when I started my quest for Beta Readers and I had no clue where to even look. My biggest resource - social media. It exists for a reason, so use it! I did several google searches that brought me to posts about beta readers but never actually where to find them. However, persistence paid off and after a few tries, I yielded results. Here's what worked for me:



  • Good Reads: It's a social network for readers and writers alike. They have several posts from readers in search of manuscripts to read. One of my awesome betas was found here. Just be sure to search the threads for unpaid or free service. 
  • Facebook: There are loads of facebook writer groups out there, join them. People post all the time, looking for critique partners. From my experience, you're more likely to find writers willing to do swaps. If you have the time, it's actually a great idea to provide feedback to a fellow writer in return for theirs. Just do a search on facebook for Beta Readers & Critiques
  • Twitter: This is also a good resource to tap into. By chance, I did a twitter search for beta readers and found a great teen for my YA manuscript. He provided such invaluable insight, I'm forever grateful
  • Book clubs: Seek out book clubs in your area, some may be willing to critique unpublished manuscripts. I happened upon one after realizing my coworker was a member of a club that met twice a month. Let me tell you, the experience of being in a room with a group of people just as excited about your characters and your story is like no other. Just be sure to bring a bottle of wine or offer to bring hors-d'oeuvres. 


The Cons: 

  • Unreliability: Like all good things, quality beta readers are sometimes hard to come by. Stories abound of betas who take on a project and literally vanish into thin air. This can be very frustrating, however, if this happens it's not the end of the world. Just find another one.
  • Lengthy wait-times: Be patient. It takes time to read an entire manuscript and provide quality feedback. Beta readers can take anywhere from 3wks - 6mths. Remember they are often doing this for free, so if you have a specific deadline you're working with, be clear from the start.
Til next time, #HappyWriting



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ads Inside Post

Contact Tamika

Name

Email *

Message *

Recent

Comment

Subscribe

statistics