Monday, October 30, 2017

Preparing for Nanowrimo: Tips to Maximize The Writing




NaNoWrimo (a month-long writing project aimed at getting participants to write 50,000 words) is starting in just 2 days and though I'm not participating this year, I know several writers who are.

Make no mistake, this is like an all out Write-a-thon! To meet such aggressive goals one really needs to write almost every day, so let's look at some ways to get those writing juices flowing 

Before you even get started try and clear your mind of all distractions. That means putting whatever issues or concerns out of your mind. The only thing you should be thinking about at this point is WRITING!

Comfortable Spot -Writing Tip1. Find A Good Writing Spot: 
Some people like to get cosy with a laptop on the couch or on the bed. Others prefer the more rigid setting of being at a desk. I've written in several places before: on my bed, sofa, window seat, coffee shop, in the swim room during my kids' swimming lessons. It's wherever you most feel comfortable or sometimes it just comes down to wherever you can get the work done. Choose the one that's less distracting and will make you focus more.

2. Have A Good Beverage On Hand:
For some people it's coffee but for me, there's nothing like a good cup a tea to get me started. All that nice warm goodness going straight to my toes...awakens the creativity and gets me in the mood. Some people already have that built-in adrenaline rush where the ideas start flowing immediately, people like me occasionally need a little push.

3. Block Off A Set Time Daily To Write: 
Nothing says commitment like actually making writing a part of your daily routine, whether it's half an hour of your lunch break, an hour before your work shift begins or 1-2 hours before bed-time, there are several ways to get the job done. For me, it's in the evenings while the kids do their homework. I know this is cliche but in this case it rings true...if it's important to you, you'll MAKE the time.

4. Set Writing Goals: 
Whether it's 300, 600 or 1000 words, you need some sort of measuring system to mark your progress. For me, it's 500 words 6 days a week. I write a little extra during the week just in case my weekends are busy - that way I don't miss my weekly goal. Don't be afraid to start low and then slowly build up

5. What If You Get Stuck? 
Ok, so this happens to majority writers at some point or the other. Recognize it's NORMAL and try not to panic. Sometimes it helps to take a short break and then come back. I find re-reading the previous scene generally gets my mind excited and before I know it, the ideas come rolling in.

The key is really to just keep going. 

Happy Writing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ads Inside Post

Contact Tamika

Name

Email *

Message *

Recent

Comment

Subscribe

statistics