Monday, November 7, 2016

Why Do We Write?



I came across this quote one day during one of my writing ruts when I was searching for inspiration. This me stop and pause for a bit; reflecting on my true desire for writing. For me, it's a mix of things really. Reading lots of books definitely made me want to try writing my own, particularly if the ending left me wanting but mostly because It's really an adventure I enjoy.



What's your reason?



You'd be surprised by the variety of reasons out there. 
Take this one, for example, I agree with the whole freedom aspect. It's completely right; you are at the mercy of your own mind. The only ones telling you what to write  are your ideas, thoughts and feelings. It's great!







How about this one? A story that's begging to be told. Often times writers describe this innate feeling  to get a story out ... So strong is that need, it's as if they can't rest easy until every last word is typed into that manuscript.







And then there's this strength writing gives to some. You write a chapter, there's that feeling of accomplishment; you write a book, you feel you can conquer the world. But seriously I like the bottom section of this quote, "I write to explore the things I'm afraid of." Many writers find the courage to address issues or situations they'd never do in real life. For instance, I'm deathly afraid of alligators and snakes, yet my current manuscript has the protagonist either fighting these creatures or trying to escape. She's so bad ass...whereas I would RUN!





I end with Margaret Atwood's quote. It's really something else to be able to visit, new worlds, new people, experience new cultures and be the hand that creates it all. Writing is hard but it's also fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ads Inside Post

Contact Tamika

Name

Email *

Message *

Recent

Comment

Subscribe

statistics